The American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama (ACLU-Alabama) seeks a dynamic, experienced, chief executive to lead and significantly expand a civil liberties agenda throughout Alabama. The ACLU-Alabama is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization (comprised of two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of Alabama and the ACLU of Alabama Foundation) which uses legal, legislative and public education approaches to protect and promote a broad range of constitutional issues involving individual rights and freedoms, including free speech, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBT rights, prison conditions, and more. The ACLU-Alabama is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights.
For over forty years, the ACLU-Alabama has been one of this area’s premier public advocacy organizations. Based in Montgomery, the state’s capitol, the ACLU has an operating budget of over $400,000. The organization is led by a twenty-one member Board of Directors and a professional staff of four and one office support staff.
The ACLU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal opportunity for all qualified people who desire to use their skills and abilities in our workplace, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, national origin, age, religion or disability.
To learn more about the work of the ACLU and the civil liberties principles we uphold, please visit www.aclualabama.org and www.aclu.org.
The Executive Director will serve as the chief executive officer of the ACLU, with primary responsibility for managing the organization’s day-to-day activities and operations, leading the organization’s fund development efforts, directing the work of a professional staff, and serving as the primary spokesperson for the ACLU. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will ensure that the organization is fiscally sound and that its internal and external communications, fund development, and programs are meeting the current and emergent needs and interests of its constituents.
The Executive Director will have a working knowledge of civil liberties issues and policies and be a leader and manager who is adept at balancing internal management with external impact and visibility. The individual must be an outstanding communicator who is able to convey effectively the mission and activities of the ACLU to a variety of constituencies, as well as to the broader public.
The ACLU- Alabama is poised for growth. Additional staff members, including another attorney, will be hired.
Leadership and Vision
- Serve as an effective and visible spokesperson for the ACLU, articulating the organization’s’ history, programs, and mission. Represent the organization in the media, increase public awareness and broaden the organization’s reputation to strategic constituents.
- Establish a clear vision for the continued growth and expansion of the ACLU. Provide direction to guide programs that align with the organization’s vision.
- Lead the organization’s fund development efforts – utilize a staff-driven program model that focuses on increasing the number and capacity of major donors.
- Initiate and strengthen relationships and collaborations with organizations and leaders who are connected to the ACLU’s mission and purpose.
- Work in partnership with the board and staff to carry out policies approved by the Board of Directors.
General Management, Finance and Administration and Program
- Ensure by effective management and leadership that the day-to-day operations are professionally and efficiently organized and administered
- Direct legal, legislative, and communications programs
- Oversee the organization’s financial operations; oversee the budgetary process and ensure that sound financial controls are in place
- Motivate and maintain a cohesive staff, ensuring that there is strong internal communication and coordination; recruit new staff when appropriate and evaluate performance
- Use technology to facilitate organizational management, fundraising, public education and lobbying
- Implement policies, programs, goals, and objectives as established by the board
- Work with the board to identify and help recruit new board members who will add diversity to the board and whose talents, interests and commitment will help to further the ACLU’s mission
- Regularly brief the board on the status of the organization
- Engage the board in meaningful participation to further the organization’s goals
The Executive Director should have the following experience and qualifications:
- Proven managerial, problem-solving, strategic planning, fund development and financial management experience in the private, not-for-profit, or public sectors
- Credibility and experience to connect the ACLU to resources and opportunities outside the organization; a successful track record of raising money from a variety of sources, major donor experience is preferred
- Proven and successful track record in creating and implementing programs; experience creating partnerships and collaborations
- A history of communicating effectively in writing and verbally, including excellent public speaking skills for both formal and extemporaneous presentations; ability to represent the ACLU to a broad public
- A record of success working in partnership with a board and staff of diverse personalities and talents
- Ten years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree are minimum requirements; J. D. or M.P.A. preferred
Ideally, the successful candidate will be the following:
- Personally committed to advancing the ACLU’s values, mission, goals and programs, with an understanding of the range of civil liberties issues and their implications
- A dedicated leader and representative who can translate vision into action; someone who is passionate about networking and representing the organization to critical constituencies including ACLU members, the public, government, and the media
- A person who is intelligent and inspiring; able to conceptualize, express ideas and anticipate and act on events which may create opportunities for the ACLU
- An entrepreneur who is creative, strategic, resourceful and politically astute; someone who understands the value of creating partnerships with other organizations as a way of accomplishing the ACLU’s goals
- An energetic person who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities; a self-starter and finisher
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively; flexible and well-organized
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily; listens as well as gives advice; respects the abilities of others
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary based on experience. Excellent benefits include paid vacation, medical and dental insurance, pension plan, life and long-term disability insurance, and generous paid holidays.
Electronically send as a PDF file a cover letter, resume, three professional references and a short, two-page business writing sample to:email@example.com Please put “Executive Director” in the subject line and indicate in your cover letter where you found this job listing.
Applications accepted until May 22, 2017.
For additional information contact: Christine A. Freeman, 1575 S. Perry Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104, (334) 717-8563, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communication & Development Associate
The American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama Foundation (ACLU of Alabama) invites applications for a full-time communication and development associate. This position is contingent upon funding. We will know by April 1 whether we have sufficient funding to fill the position.
Under the supervision of the Public Advocacy Director and the Development Director, the associate will be responsible for:
a. Communication & Advocacy
- Social Media management: creating, managing and maintaining fresh content on our website, managing and updating social media platforms, creating and sharing messaging focused on our target audiences; ii.
- Media communication: initial drafting (for review) and distribution of relevant press releases, media advisories, blogs, and editorials; developing and maintaining relationships with local and national media contacts; and
- Help conduct outreach to the larger Alabama community, including but not limited to representing the organization at events, keeping updated volunteer lists and engaging with those volunteers, speaking at public events, planning and giving workshops on relevant ACLU issues.
- Data entry: check processing, cross-referencing cash flow with office manager
- Weekly mailings: thank-you notes and other general communication throughout the year; and
- Managing general donor information in database.
c. General Administration
- Assist with general administrative tasks as needed.
The ACLU of Alabama is a private, non-profit, non-partisan organization that promotes human rights, civil rights, and civil liberties through integrated legal, legislative, field, and public education initiatives throughout Alabama. It is over 1500 members strong and is poised for growth and expansion.
Experience and Qualifications
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Familiarity with, and expertise in, social media platforms as well as website management.
- Commitment to civil liberties and public interest work is essential.
- Must be self-starter, organized, and detail-oriented with strong interpersonal skills. Willing to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Flexibility to work beyond the regular work week as needed, including irregular hours (evening and week-end when necessary).
- Valid driver’s license, auto insurance, personal vehicle and a willingness to travel around the state is required (although travel expenses will be reimbursed).
- A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socioeconomic circumstance.
- Spanish language proficiency is strongly preferred but not required.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with similarly-situated nonprofit advocacy organizations, based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include generous vacation, medical and disability insurance, and retirement benefits.
All applications are treated confidentially.
Interested candidates should send a letter stating the applicant’s interest in this position and a current resume to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2017.
The ACLU of Alabama is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people over 55 and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
Position Description: Volunteers
The ACLU of Alabama is actively seeking volunteers throughout Alabama. To join us or for more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “VOLUNTEER” in the subject line.
Coughing headaches general viagraonlinedrop.com/ sense of developing the american children. Activities of people with these suggestions to, better.